Assistant / Associate Director, Career Development and Coaching, Pre-Health and Pre-Law
Are you a natural coach who enjoys working with undergraduate students? Would you enjoy helping students explore their interests in healthcare and law and find a meaningful academic and vocational path? Do you have specialized knowledge of the admissions process for health professions graduate programs and/or law school, and would you like to share this knowledge with others? As the Assistant/Associate Director, you will engage and educate students through conversations about their future and develop plans to help students explore and succeed in careers in healthcare and law: specifically, those interested in attending graduate programs in medicine, dentistry, physician assistant, physical therapy, occupational therapy, nursing, law, and more. You will contribute to programming and skill-building workshops that focus on preparing students for the workplace and graduate programs, help coordinate alumni networking experiences, assist with internship development, program management, employer and on-campus recruiting events.
If you are motivated to work in a collaborative, entrepreneurial, and dynamic environment, the role of Assistant/Associate Director of Career Development and Coaching, Pre-Health and Pre-Law in the Piper Center for Vocation and Career may be the right fit for you!
What You’ll Do:
• Counsel students interested in careers in healthcare and law.
• Collaborate with faculty and other Piper Center staff to coach and provide programming to support pre-health and pre-law students.
• Help students create strong application materials for graduate programs, internships, and jobs; assist students in learning to network effectively; and help prepare students for interviews.
• Organize and facilitate industry specific workshops, events and programs; advise student led interest groups, facilitate connections between students and key graduate programs, alumni and parents in your industry areas.
• Manage a range of cohort internships designed to provide students with access to opportunities in healthcare and law; build and maintain relationships with alumni and supervisors within these opportunities.
• Capitalize on knowledge of pre-health and pre-law programming and advising, graduate programs, and professional/personal networks.
The qualified candidate will have…
Education: Bachelor’s Degree; Maintain a valid driver’s license and meet St. Olaf College driver authorization criteria with a satisfactory driving record
Experience: 3+ years of experience coaching clients or customers in healthcare, law, higher education, pre-professional advising, or career development
What skills and knowledge you should bring…
You work collaboratively with a diverse range of people and are able to establish and maintain an environment of trust and respect. You are skilled at making meaningful, empathetic, trusting, and sustained connections with college students, and can envision, advance, and implement innovative programs and services. You enjoy building and sustaining relationships with internal and external partners. You have knowledge of career development—helping students discern their interests and set goals, as well as expertise in the tactical elements of the internship/job search, including writing resumes and cover letters and assisting with the application process.
You might be a great match if…
Education: Master’s degree (M.A., M.Ed, or other related degree)
Experience: 5+ years of experience coaching clients or customers in healthcare, law, higher education, pre-professional advising, or career development; experience working with undergraduate students; familiarity with career development/counseling theories and methods; specialized knowledge of the health/medical/law fields